Pages

Saturday 13 November 2010

Curves curves curves!!

I had a very interesting conversation with a friend today, is it just me or has there become a certain 'look' that appears on the pages of bizzare magazine, front, latex companies and alternative clothing companies. Pale, skinny, unusual colour hair (mainly red or blue) and a mass of girly tattoos (bows, cupcakes and hello kitty). Long gone are the days when the curves ruled the alt model scene. When plus size didn't exist in this world, size 14 was not a problem and size 8 was left to the pages of vogue and marie claire. Sample sizes are getting smaller and people's perceptions of beauty is no longer the overall package just how good your body looks in a tiny latex bra.

I remember years ago being sent a link to a casting call on model mayhem that made me cheer, it was for alternative fashion week requesting for SIZE 14 MODELS for a latex catwalk, the reasons being that curves would fill the outfits out a lot more. I didn't apply. I was still in my nervous phase, I was 21 pounds heavier then I am today and my whole general body image was at an all time low. I then started to drop some weight only to find that my confidence was being knocked about some more with the new emergence of the scene queens, these girls are rail thin and obviously didn't have much luck with mainstream fashion modelling so took a different route.

When did alternative modelling become as rigid as mainstream fashion modelling? Some clothing companies and photographers are now obsessing about being a certain height! What does this mean for the average alternative girl trying to break into this now elitist industry? Well it just seems it's never going to happen right?! Id like to think I could break through and become one of those girls that could break the mold, but it certainly will be an up hill struggle, even at a size 14 with all my proportions in the right place I still need to slim and tone down to a size 12. I don't just want to do this to prove a point, there is no point to prove I just want to take back what was rightfully ours, a place where girls of a bigger size could feel beautiful and be appreciated.

al·ter·na·tive  

adjective 

-employing or following nontraditional or unconventional ideas, methods, etc.; existing outside the establishment: an alternative newspaper; alternative lifestyles.



Anyway enough of my ranting, time for the 'Song of the day'. I decided to choose this song because it's just a beautiful song. Simple!

 This woman certainly had a colourful lifestyle to say the least and every song she sang was performed with such feeling and emotion it is hard not to fall in love with her voice.

Blue Moon - Billy Holiday 
 



enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughts and the song Soph. Really enjoyed listening to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put hun, nicely put.
    Ahhh :)Billie Holiday...

    ReplyDelete